Amateur Radio is a technical hobby that allows for casual communication, self-training and radio sport.
So what can you do with the hobby?
- Contact the crew members of the International Space Station (NA1SS)
- Design and build your own radios and equipment.
- Communicate across the globe over HF and locally over VHF/UHF.
- Use Packet and digital modes to communicate long distances with little power.
- Learn Morse code – (of which the club already has an enthusiastic group of learners).
- Take part in competitions such as VHF UKAC or HF Championship contests.
These are just an example of some of the things you can do with amateur radio. If this sounds like something you’d like to try or have been looking for a way to make a start in the hobby then come along to a club meeting (dates can be found on the calendar on the main page).
If you’re not convinced enough that the hobby is for you take a look below at the video made by the Radio Society of Great Britain.