Next Meeting

Dave and Kath Wilson are visiting the Club on Wednesday 1st Aug. Dave is the current President of the RSGB and Kath is the regional manager for the North West. One of the reasons for their visit is to inspect the new premises with a view to registering us as an exam centre. It will also be an opportunity to meet Dave and Kath and to get the inside track on what’s new and coming in the future, in terms of the RSGB. Dave will also make a couple of short presentations related to the RSGB and the new online examinations.

It would be great to see everyone there as this is a great opportunity to hear from and talk to the RSGB president.

Regular Club Meetings

The previous club meeting on 19 February took place at Moorclose Community Centre. We looked around the room and storage space available. Andrew Holland setup an inverted V aerial with a Yaesu FT-817ND outside. A unanimous decision of all present was made to adopt Moorclose Community Centre as the location of the club.

The next meeting will be at 7pm on Wednesday 7th March at the old 6th form college in Workington (Moorclose Community Centre).

We now have 11 paid up members. For the rest of this year the annual subs are £10 until the end Aug, the meeting subs of £3 remain the same. New and returning members can pay at the next meeting.

Meetings in the future will be on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month.

We look forward seeing everyone there on the 7th.

Future of the Club

For those of us that regularly visit the club you can help notice that there are fewer people attending nowadays. This could be for any number of reasons but what this means is that without members attendance there is less likelihood of events being put on. This leads to an inevitable spiral where fewer events are put on and then fewer people attend, you get the picture.

So, what does this mean?

For us to be financially stable then we need a minimum number of attendees. We also need a larger number of members to make the club sustainable. This includes people prepared to invest time in being members of the committee, provide support to and give presentations, show and tells etc. For some time now we have been operating well below our minimum requirements. On both fronts.

After some discussion with the museum we have taken the step of cancelling the booking for meetings up to the first September meeting where we will have an EGM to discuss the future of the club. None of us want to see the club fold but we clearly need to do something different for it to survive. Depending on the outcome of that meeting we have one of 2 options. Wind up the club or produce an action plan to recover the club and its membership. To date some of the suggestions are:

  1. Wind up the club (in accordance with the constitution)
  2. Wind up the club (in accordance with the constitution) and reform the club as a virtual club i.e. one without assets or a home. Only a web presence.
  3. Wind up the club (in accordance with the constitution) and reform with a broader view that includes code club / code dojo, Maker / tinkerer i.e. broader electronics background
  4. Keep things as they are
  5. Change the date / meeting venue
  6. Something else

We hope to see you on Saturday and/or Sunday (1 & 2 July) for the VHF National Field Day, and in September to discuss the future of our club.

At this stage no idea is a bad one. It should be noted that a good idea is only an idea unless it comes with a commitment to see it through.